Featured Post

So Fresh and so Clean: DIY Daily Brush Cleaner!

Let's talk makeup brushes: they are a necessity for an expertly applied face, but they can be a PITA to keep clean! Cleaning your brushe...

Monday, November 3, 2014

Infatuated: NYX Dark Circle Concealer

Hi Lovelies!

Infatuated is a new series in which I will tell you about a product that I am either currently obsessed with, or that I use regularly and couldn't live without.

I've been having trouble with darkness around my eyes lately, and have been on the hunt to find a product that will cover up the blue tones without looking cakey or fading away. My darkness is not in the traditional under-eye area - oh no, nothing can every be "normal" when it comes to me - but in the inner eye area, where my eye meets the bridge of my nose. This is a tricky area to cover, as it is hard to reach and it is an area that is often in shadow.  At this point, you may be asking yourself: what's a girl to do? Enter: NYX Dark Circle Concealer.


NYX Dark Circle Concealer, $6.00

One day, when I was at Ulta looking at expensive solutions to my problem, my friend suggested I try the NYX Cosmetics Dark Circle Concealer. It had the main component I was looking for - orange/peach undertones that cancel out the blue tones of my dark circles. At $6 it was much better priced than the majority of products I was considering, so I figured I had nothing to lose, and lots of brightness to gain!

One of the many fabulous things about this product is that it does not have just one universal shade that is supposed to be flattering for all skin tones but really only works for one; oh no, the Dark Circle Concealer comes in 4 shades: fair, light, medium, and deep. This means that almost anyone with dark circles can get the help they deserve! I use the shade light, and it is a perfect match for me.

Before - note the blue discoloration on the inner corners of my eyes

After using NYX Dark Circle Concealer on the inner corners only - the blue is gone!
Now, there are many peach colored concealers out there developed to cover the dreaded under eye circles, such as It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Corrector, $29 and Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer, $39. I've heard wonderful things about these products and I am sure that they are amazing (I do intend to try them out myself, just to compare, and I will let you know what I think); however, if it comes down to paying $6 or $39, and the $6 product does the trick, you know which product I'm choosing!
Fully concealed eye
My current eye concealer routine is to dab the NYX Cosmetics Dark Circle Concealer on my inner corners and pat in with my finger or a small brush (the E.L.F. Flawless Concealer Brush is awesome for this). Next I apply Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer in the shade light on my under eyes and blend, followed by Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil to set everything in place; this is a super fine, light powder that does not crease under my eyes, and I highly recommend it for this area.

Another example of a completed eye
 I want to note that I only apply the peach colored concealer to my inner eyes, where the darkness is the deepest. NYX Cosmetics Dark Circle Concealer is pretty thick, sort of like a creamy paste, and because of this it is able to fully cover the circles and last throughout the day. However, my dark circles are not too bad directly under my eyes, so if I can get away with a concealer that is lighter in coverage,  then that is what I do. I know people who use the product underneath their entire eye and get great coverage without the cakey look, so do what works best for you. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way with this product, so apply sparingly and build up to the desired coverage.


Eh, just one more example of what my eye looks like after I'm all made up!

I am loving NYX Cosmetics Dark Circle Concealer - I think just adding that little bit of brightness to my darkest area makes a huge difference! I use this every single day, and I would die  go into a black void never to return be so lost without it!

Do you have problems with dark circles? What do you use to keep the darkness at bay?

Thanks for reading - live a beautiful life!

~Jessica




9 comments:

  1. This looks pretty great! Luckily I don't have a major problem with dark circles; however, I do enjoy products to brighten the eye area, so I appreciate a good concealer and highlighter. http://www.leatherandlipstickkv.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey, thanks so much for reading! I only recently noticed that my eyes were developing a little darkness; luckily this product helps with that!

      Delete
  2. Looks good! I never had issues with dark circles, but I know what to get if it ever happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa - It's definitely a holy grail product for me!

      Delete
  3. Great review Jess!!! You know how I feel about this little miracle in a jar!! I have the Pixi Corrector too, which is a few bucks more, and I always reach for the NYX one over that. It does a great job of covering up any darkness under my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much Melissa!!! I'm so glad you influenced my decision on which product to buy that day - it was a life changer!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I love this concealer! It is an absolute can't live with out! It happened to match my skin perfectly to the point where if I'm in a hurry I just apply it under my eyes, do my brows and then run out the door. This concealer is a life saver. I've heard a lot about the Maybelline Rewind. After reading this I may have to get it and try out the way you use it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! Both the NYX Dark Circle concealer and the Maybelline Age Rewind are great concealers that I continue to use and love...however, I recently purchased a tube of It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye, and it is a miracle worker! Have you tried it? I use the shade Neutral Medium, and I apply it the same way as I do the NYX concealer, but it just has an overall smoother look...it's love! Lol.

      Delete
  5. Thinking of doing a makeup course? You can make this from Lina Cameron. You can take makeup lesson London from professional Lina. She is really good and professional in this line.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much - your comments are always appreciated!
~Jessica