Featured Post

So Fresh and so Clean: DIY Daily Brush Cleaner!

Let's talk makeup brushes: they are a necessity for an expertly applied face, but they can be a PITA to keep clean! Cleaning your brushe...

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Adore or Ignore: Laura Geller Cool Lids Eyeshadow in Silver Sands

Hi Lovelies!

In my August Birchbox I was given the opportunity to pick one of four products to receive; I chose the Laura Geller Beauty Cool Lids Cream Eyeshadow in the shade Silver Sands. You can purchase this product for $19 through Birchbox and Laura Geller, or in store or online at Ulta.

Laura Geller Cool Lids Eyeshadow, $19
I was very much looking forward to trying this eyeshadow, as I had heard many great things about it, and it looked like a very pretty color. According to the website, Laura Geller Cool Lids "captures the alluring beauty of the sea" in a "lightweight cream formula that deposits water-rich color in neutral, ocean-inspired shades". The formula is said to "cool on contact and dry to a transfer-proof, shimmering wet-look finish."

The product comes in six shades: Silver sands, Mermaid Marine, Lavender Lagoon, Bronze Beauty, Rose Gold Goddess and Opal Oyster.


Swatch of Silver Sands
The products applies easily with just your fingertips, it is slightly cooling and does dry down to a "shimmering wet-look finish"; however, it is quite sheer. To achieve a look of even slight opacity, I had to apply several layers of the shadow, and it still wasn't very pigmented. It is a very pretty color, and I was happy with the final outcome, however I prefer a cream shadow that provides rich color with less product.


Two layers of cream shadow


Final look, with 3 layers of product


For this look, I kept it very simple by using Milani Bella Eyes in the color Bella Caffe in my crease, Laura Geller Beauty Cool Lids Cream Eyeshadow in the shade Silver Sands patted onto my lids, and Milani Bella Eyes in Bella Ivory on my browbone and inner corners. I applied  Eyeko Skinny Liquid Liner in black on my upper lids, winging it out, and finished things off with 2 coats of MUFE Smoky Extravagant Mascara in black. 


On the rest of my face, I have Avon Smooth Minerals  powder foundation in Nude and Transparent GlowMilani Bronzer XL in Fake Tan, NYX Powder Blush in Pinched, with  L'Oreal Colour Rich Collection Exclusive in Jennifer's Nude on my lips.


As for the claim of being "transfer-proof", I must say the the eyeshadow held up fairly well, as can be seen in the pictures below which were taking after a full work day followed by pilates class. No creasing, and -for what it's worth - the color is still there! For that, I am very impressed!
After an 8 hour work day...
...and an hour of pilates!

Despite its ability to stay in place without smudging or creasing for 10 hours, this product still doesn't WOW me. Perhaps a deeper color would make me a believer, but for the color payoff I got from Silver Sands, I just don't think that this particular cream shadow is worth the $19 price tag. I have seen better pigmentation and similar wear-time from Maybelline Color Tattoo, which for a fraction of the price - $7.00 -  has a much larger shade selection and performs just as well.

So, what is my final verdict for Laura Geller Beauty Cool Lids Cream Eyeshadow?  It's my opinion that you won't be missing out on anything spectacular, so feel free to Ignore!

Have you tried this product? if so, what was your experience?

~Jessica


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I tried the Bronze Beauty color. I have oily hooded eyelids, so I did get a bit of creasing, but unlike most things I put on my eyes, it was still there at the end of a 16 hour day. I did hate the color. Bronze should be bronze and not pink. On a better note, the Bronze Beauty also seemed to be more pigmented than the Silver Sands, although after seeing that one on you I think I might get it. You are right though, they need more pigmented colors, and a better selection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much - your comments are always appreciated!
~Jessica