Featured Post

So Fresh and so Clean: DIY Daily Brush Cleaner!

Let's talk makeup brushes: they are a necessity for an expertly applied face, but they can be a PITA to keep clean! Cleaning your brushe...

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Battle of the Boxes: Birchbox vs Ipsy January 2016

Hi There lovelies!


Birchbox or ipsy

I received two  subscriptions in January: Birchbox and Ipsy. In my experience, subscriptions can be very hit or miss; most of the time I'm fairly content with the items I receive for $10/mo, but I do have to admit there are times I've been disappointed with the contents of the bag, and  even an occasion or two that I've felt that there wasn't a single item I could use. I often debate about cancelling one of my subs, but then they go and send me an awesome box, and I am once again sucked into subscription box bliss. If I do ever decide to whittle it down to just one sub a month, I want to know which box I am better off keeping; therefore, I like to compare month to month and get an idea of the sub I am happiest with most often, and which has the most bang for the buck. I like to compare both products received and overall value to the cost of the subscription; to make cost-comparisons a little easier, I round the estimated value to the nearest quarter dollar. Without further ado, let us begin this month's Battle of the Boxes -  read on to see which box reigns supreme for the month of January!




ipsy birchbox

Ipsy is a monthly beauty and makeup subscription that contains full or deluxe sized products, all packed into a cute makeup bag that suits the theme for that month. Like Birchbox, it costs $10/month, and the items vary from bag to bag based on your beauty profile. You can earn points by reviewing the products you receive and making referrals, and those points can be redeemed for select items when you reach 250, 500 or 1000 points (depending on the rewards available). There is a theme each month, and for the month of January it was "All Eyes on You". Let's take a peek at what was inside my January Glambag:

ipsy all eyes on you

glambag

glambag

Burt's Bees Cleansing Oil - estimated value $2.75
This cleansing oil is formulated with Coconut and Argan oils, and is free of parabens, phthalates and petrolatum. It removes dirt and makeup without stripping your skin of its natural oils. I've recently gotten into face oils, so I'm excited to give this a try!
Use code IPSY20 for 20% off!

Hanalei Sugar Lip Scrub - estimated value $4.25
I feel like lip scrubs are becoming more and more popular, especially with the slew of matte lipsticks hitting the market (you need to keep those lips smooth to pull off super-matte lips!). This product uses real Maui sugar crystals to gently exfoliate, and shea butter to replenish moisture, leaving your lips soft, smooth, and ready for lipstick.
Use code IPSYSCRUB for 50% off!

Pixie by Petra Mesmerizing Mineral Eye Duo in Lavender Bloom - Full size! $6.00 value
This is a cute little eye duo of soft purple shades. This will make a convenient duo for a quick eye look, or fit nicely in a travel kit.
Use code IPSYJAN for 15% off!

glambag

glambag

Skone Smudger Brush - full size! $15.00 value
If you know me, you know that brushes are one of my favorite things to get in a subscription! This is a handy little smudger brush that will work well for smoking out the lower lashline!
Use code IPSYJAN for 15% off!

The Balm Mr. Write (Now) Liner in Scott B. Bordeaux - Full size! $17.00 value
I'm so happy to have gotten this liner...I was in need of a deep wine colored eyeliner, so it was perfect timing! This is a rich, creamy formula that applies smoothly and is nicely pigmented. Also, it's an automatic pencil, so no chance of scratching out your eyes with sharp pencil fragments!
Use code IPSY20 for 20% off!

Total estimated value for Ipsy: $45.00

Birchbox is a monthly subscription service that costs $10/mo and provides you with 4-6 samples hand-picked for you and delivered right to your mailbox! When you subscribe to the service, you fill out a questionnaire that helps them pick items suited to your needs and style. This is one of the original subscription boxes, and it has one of the best points systems: for every 100 points earned, you get $10 to spend in their shop. It's easy to earn points through reviewing the products received, shopping in their store and referring friends! Also, another fun perk that Birchbox introduced awhile back is the option to pick one of your samples each month, or even select a fully curated box. I like this option, because you can be sure that you will like at least one of the items you receive (provided they offer a sample choice you like). This month, I chose the Eyeko Fat Liquid Liner as my sample choice - let's see what else I got:

battle of the boxes

subscription box

Harvey Prince Bailando Perfume Spray - estimated value $1.75
Bailando has top notes of Spanish Mandarin, Indian Jasmine, Orange Flower over a base of Sandalwood, Vanilla and Musk. Right up my alley!

Foreo Day Cleanser - estimated value $4.50
This is a foaming cleanser that is meant to work hand in hand with the Foreo Luna cleansing device. I know that it will work on its own without the device, but part of me is disappointed because I don't own the Luna (and will not be buying it), so I'm not really excited to try it.


subscription box

Ciate London Polish in Mistress - estimated value $5.50
This is a pretty shade, but I'm not a fan of little nail polishes. 

Amika Bombshell Blowout Spray - estimated value $3.00
I like Amika products - they smell good and they perform well. I have not yet tried this particular product, but I am looking forward to my next blowdry!

Eyeko Fat Liquid Liner - full size! $16.00 value
This was my sample choice, and I am pleasantly surprised that it is a full-sized liner! This will definitely get use, as I go through liquid pen-type liners fairly quickly. 

Total estimated value for Birchbox: $30.75

And the January winner is:

Ipsy is the January winner! I am really happy with the products I received (a brush is always a winner in my book!), and the fact that there were 3 full-sized items in this month's bag! Also, Ipsy came in at an estimated $45.00 value, though Birchbox wasn't too shabby with a value of $30.75 and the full-sized Eyeko liner. I am actually quite pleased with the value of both subs, and the items I received. I wish every month was a good as January!

Interested in trying out one of these subscriptions for yourself? Follow this link for Birchbox, or this one for Ipsy.

 What boxes do you currently subscribe to? Which is your favorite this month? 

Thank you for checking out Battle of the Boxes... live a beautiful life! 

~Jessica


*The winner of Battle of the Boxes is based solely on my opinion of which subscription has the better  content and overall estimated value. As always, all opinions are my own.
**This post contains referral link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much - your comments are always appreciated!
~Jessica