Featured Post

So Fresh and so Clean: DIY Daily Brush Cleaner!

Let's talk makeup brushes: they are a necessity for an expertly applied face, but they can be a PITA to keep clean! Cleaning your brushe...

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Three Things Thursday 8-06-15

Hello love bugs! Sorry it's been a few weeks since my last post, but July was vacation month, and I was all over the place! I hope the summer is treating you well, and your summer makeup is looking fresh despite the heat. This week's Three things Thursday is focusing on just that - summer makeup. Read on to find out the three things I love using to protect my face, while keeping everything in its place! 


Cotz Face for Natural Skin Tones SPF 40

mattifying sunscreen
$19.99 at cotzskincare.com
I recently discovered this lifesaver (literally - skin cancer is no joke) in my Birchbox. Sunscreen is tricky for me, as I know that it is a vital part of my daily routine, but the formulas out there are not always kind to oily-skinned individuals. I've tried many that are oil free and claim to be matte, but by mid-morning my face is shiny and my makeup is everywhere...and don't even get me started on the sunscreen "smell"! Well, Cotz face has since changed the way I look at sunscreen! It is a velvety smooth cream that applies like a dream, and creates a smooth, matte canvas without the familiar sunscreen fragrance. The tinted formula gives just a hint of color, so you can wear it on its own, however it is the perfect base for makeup as well. It is oil free, PABA free, fragrance free, and the SPF is physical, not chemical. If you have been neglecting your skin by not wearing sunscreen because you haven't found a formula you love, give this a shot and tell me what you think! (side note: this also comes in a shade for lighter skin tones , however I do not recommend it because it is white and leaves a cast. Try the natural, as it is pretty universal and just gives a nice glow to the skin).




Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup

foundation for oily skin
$38.00 at sephora.com

If you are looking for a foundation that withstands heat and humidity, look no further: Estee Lauder is a well-known brand - I'm sure you have heard of their Double Wear line at some point (if not, you must be off the grid!). It has a huge cult following, and professional makeup artists, YouTube gurus and the general public have been singing its praises for years. Well, there is a reason for the notoriety - this stuff is amazing!

According to their website, Double Wear is a  "15-hour, flawless foundation that stays looking fresh and natural through heat, humidity, and nonstop activity. Provides amazing coverage without feeling heavy on the skin".  Let me tell you, that is the truth! Every time I wear this foundation, I am in awe of how amazing my skin looks, even on the most humid of summer days. When I combine this foundation with the sunscreen mentioned above, my makeup Does. Not. Budge.  

This fabulous foundation comes in a wide range of shades (I believe there are 30 in all), and to give you an idea , I am currently using shade 2N1 Desert Beige. I've applied it with both a brush and a sponge, and either technique results in a beautiful finish!
Now, some people might find Double Wear to be a little too matte, especially on dryer skin types. I personally love this foundation for daily use in the summer when my skin is naturally extra "dewy", however, for regular use in the winter it can be a bit drying. What I like to do in the colder months is to mix it in equal parts with L'Oreal True Match foundation. This gives it just enough moisture to make it appear more skin-like and provide a little bit of "glow", while still maintaining the long wear-time and stay-put benefits of the product. If you have normal to dry skin, you might even try mixing it with True Match Lumi for a more radiant complexion. I should also mention that Double Wear foundation comes in several formulas, so if you've tried the regular formula and it is either too much or too little coverage for you, you might want to check out Double Wear Light, Double Wear Maximum Cover, or Double Wear All day Glow BB.



Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray
oil control setting spray
$30.00 at urbandecay.com
To finish things off, you need a good setting spray that keeps oil at bay and helps prevent your makeup from slipping off your face. While there are some good drugstore options, I just find UD's De-Slick works the best for my skin. Not only does it keep the shine away, but it feels so refreshing to mist it over my face! I apply it right after I finish my makeup to lock everything in, and then throughout the day as needed to keep things looking and feeling fresh! If I'm going out after work and don't have a ton of time to reapply makeup, I mist my face and a Beauty Blender, and dab all over to refresh my look and keep it lasting. This is a major must-have for my summer makeup kit!

Thus concludes this week's Three Things Thursday. What are your favorite beauty products to help you beat the heat?

Thanks for visiting - live a beautiful life!

~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much - your comments are always appreciated!
~Jessica